Sunday, January 11, 2009

ANTIOCH ARROW - GEMS OF MASOCHISM; BLACK EYES - COUGH; JEROMES DREAM - COMPLETED 1997-2001


Antioch Arrow - Gems of Masochism

I could probably write an essay on how important this album is, but I'm going to leave it at this: a great band on a label known for putting out dark, weird music (Gravity) makes a record that is so dark and weird that the label won't touch it. Other bands (like The Horrors) have actually made money and gotten famous doing a subpar job of aping this. Fuck.

d/l
buy


Black Eyes - Cough

I may not be doing Black Eyes any favors by uploading their second album, Cough, instead of their self-titled. That album is much, much more accessible, and is arguably the better of the two. I honestly prefer it to Cough, and I may post it on here at a later date, but I think of this as the most experimental Dischord release out there, and hearing this, it definitely sounds like Black Eyes had a few more great albums in them.

d/l
buy



Jeromes Dream - Completed 1997-2001

I always love it when a great band puts all their material on one release. Usually it's a single disc, but the fact that a band as prolific as JD were willing to leave nothing off in my mind set this release apart. Apart from that, I found it great that these guys were able to do the whole screamo thing as effortlessly as they did. Great musicianship here, to be sure. The screaming on 3/4 of this is pretty bad, so I honestly prefer the departure in vocal style on the first half of Disc 1, which is their last full-length, Presents. Honestly one of the only things I own that makes me want to start a band every time I hear it.

d/l Disc 1
d/l Disc 2
buy

1 comment:

aBoutrosBoutros said...

I found this when I was researching Antioch Arrow, and I just wanted to say thank you for introducing me to the Black Eyes and Jeromes Dream. Soooo good!