Monday, November 30, 2009

MIDNIGHT-FAREWELL TO HELL; TURBOSLUT-ORDER OF THE TURBOSLUT; BLUE CHEER-OUTSIDEINSIDE


MIDNIGHT-FAREWELL TO HELL

This is definitely one of those bands that formed to do exactly what its collective members like about music: balls-out fucking rock. Hailing from the once-great rock 'n' roll city of Cleveland, these guys put on grim reaper hoods and do their best to reclaim the throne. I came across their myspace because they're tight with some other great bands and was blown away by the whole spectacle. Awesome.

d/l



TURBOSLUT-ORDER OF THE TURBOSLUT

I really can't decide whether I'm more bummed about Turboslut's breakup or Annihilation Time's. I'm actually going to go with Turboslut because I've seen AT and those dudes got to release three sweet full-lengths before calling it quits. Turboslut only did this and the Pygmy Lush split covered earlier (you find it) and I missed the boat on them. Whatever, I can't even describe how blown away I was the first time I heard "Speed" off the Pygmy Lush split and that release is the superior of the two, but Order of the Turboslut offers more Turboslut songs, so what the fuck. Miserable, pissed, dark, and grungy, this band hits a spot for me that nobody else really can come close to. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't an uncomfortable spot, but I will continue to defend my love of this band. Contains my second-favorite Turboslut song, "Running in the Family." Check it out.

d/l



BLUE CHEER-OUTSIDEINSIDE

Apparently this beast was recorded both in and out of doors, hence the title. These dudes were serious hippies. Whatever, this is my favorite Cheer record, which I don't think is a hugely controversial claim to make- they were still a young band, but their jamming is tighter and even trippier than it was on Vincebus Eruptum. This one has my favorite Cheer song, the just-plain-heavy "Just a Little Bit," which boasts an absolutely great riff and one of Dickie's best vocal performances. They also do a great version of "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" and a mix of other great covers and originals in the way that only they could. Dickie just died and you should feel bad. Worship.

buy
d/l



No comments: