Tuesday, October 28, 2008

FIFTEEN - BUZZ; FROM ASHES RISE - "DISCOGRAPHY"; EMILYANNE - DEMOS

FIFTEEN - BUZZ

As I was posting this, Jack asked, "You don't like Mineral, but you like Fifteen?" The answer was "yes" -- I can't stand Mineral. I realize it's an apples-and-oranges comparison, but my hatred of Mineral had come up earlier. Moving on, Fifteen was a seminal Bay Area punk band formed after the breakup of Crimpshrine and fronted by Jeff Ott, one of the weirdest people in punk rock. I attended one of his performaces at a record store in 2005. He wheeled in a TV/VCR, dropped a basket of condoms (encouraging the showgoers to take as many as they wanted), turned on the TV, and started up a VHS of himself talking about some sort of rape/murder conspiracy. As the tape played, he sat next to me, rocking back and forth -- he reeked of body odor and weed, so it wasn't the most pleasant experience. That was the whole show; he didn't play any music, as the flyer had suggested he would. But it's exactly this sort of eccentricity that helped make Fifteen one of the best bands of the 90s, and it's exactly why they're better than Mineral.

dl
buy


FROM ASHES RISE - "DISCOGRAPHY"

Fast, brutal, crusty hardcore from Portland. Featuring current members of Tragedy and the infinitely boring Smoke or Fire. Quotes around "discography" because it doesn't include the Jade Tree-released Nightmares, but it's better stuff anyway.

dl

EMILYANNE - DEMO

One of my favorite bands from my hometown of Phoenix. They played passionate, Dischord-style emo with some serious musical sensibility (especially considering they were still in high school at the time). As far as I know, this was recorded sometime in mid- to late 2006. I'm pretty sure these four songs are the only ones from the session, but I could be wrong. All three members currently play in No Movement (formerly I Wish I) with a new vocalist.

dl


1 comment:

RYAN said...

F U you know smoke or fire is awesome